Monday, April 5, 2010

Application = Impact

Have you ever sought help or assistance from somebody, learned a lot and didn’t apply it to your life? I developed TUG Coaching as a process for people to learn the skills and strategies for a healthy relationship in a manner that included application. One goal was to ensure the people I worked with didn’t end up with a verbal self-help book where they learned what to do but didn’t actually apply it to their lives. It’s in the application of what we learn that makes the big impact.


Recently I hired a Mike Sansone of ConverStations to assist me in utilizing the many tools available in this huge world of social media. After a few sessions my knowledge increase at a rate that had me looking forward to every session. Until my last session when I wasn’t as excited and didn’t get as much out of it. Because he is an excellent coach he not only held me accountable to my part but spoke very directly:

You are not applying what I’m coaching or what you are learning.

OUCH! It reminded me of when a person is struggling to connect to their mate, ask what they can do, then doesn't act on what suggestions their mate provides. So here is my public challenge with my coach: apply what I learn. After all, I sought his expertise in the first place. So tune in to the impact over the next 3-6 months.


Picture by http://www.flickr.com/photos/spettacolopuro

No comments: